Collins 'Connie' and Verna Carpenter Memorial Scholarship
Awarded for the first time in 2015, this scholarship was established in memory of Dr. Collins W. ‘Connie’ Carpenter, who was elected as the first chair of the Board of Trustees of the Community College of the Finger Lakes in 1966 and served in that position until 1978, and his wife, Verna. Under Dr. Carpenter’s leadership the College hired its first president, Dr. Roy Satre and its second president, Charles J. Meder, faculty and staff, negotiated leases for classrooms that were located in offices and storefront buildings in downtown Canandaigua, and oversaw the purchase of 235 acres of land that became the ‘new’ campus on Lincoln Hill which opened in 1975. Dr. Carpenter was one of the driving forces in the establishment of the FLCC Foundation. Dr. and Mrs. Carpenter attended nearly every FLCC Commencement exercise, reception, and event over the first forty years of the College’s history.
- Entering or returning, full or part time student
- Minimum B average/ GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Resident of Ontario, Wayne, Seneca, or Yates County
- Demonstrate financial need
- For one of the scholarships, preference given to a student who intends to pursue a career in health care, education, or social sciences